The Seminole Nation of Oklahoma
The Seminole Nation Tribal Jurisdiction Area is located in south-central Oklahoma, approximately 45 miles east of Oklahoma City. The Seminole Nation Tribal Complex is located in the town of Wewoka, Oklahoma. Wewoka lies at the junction of U.S. 270 and Oklahoma Highway 56 approximately 30 miles southeast of the town of Shawnee. Wewoka is also the site of several Seminole Nation programs and services. The Mekusukey Mission (which includes tribal offices, recreational areas, industrial and commercial areas, and a cultural area) is located 2 miles south and 2 miles west of the city of Seminole. The Seminole were removed to Indian Territory following the Treaty of Payne's Landing in 1832. They were eventually granted a reservation, but after subsequent land cessations, these lands were allotted following the Seminole Agreement of 1909. Today, the tribe owns 372 acres of federal trust land and approximately 53 acres of fee simple land. An additional 35,443 allotted acres supplement the tribal land base.
With a future of limitless potential and a determined 21st Century narrative, the people of the Seminole Nation hold a steadfast tenacity in building up families, cultural preservation, safe communities, municipal relationships, educational opportunities, while ensuring strong economic growth and standard of living.
Voting is one way we fight for our future, together we have power!
SEMINOLE NATION ELECTION BOARD
North Community Center, Mekusukey Mission
2021 ELECTION DATES:
Candidate Filing Period
April 19-23rd, 8:00am-5:00pm each day
2021 Election Day
Polls open 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. July 10, 2021
2021 ELECTION INFORMATION AND FILLABLE FORMS:
- CONSTITUTION AND TITLE 10 CODE - ELECTIONS -
- ABSENTEE BALLOT REQUEST FORM -
- POLLING LOCATION WORKER APPLICATION -
GENERAL COUNCIL FILING FORMS
GCR VERIFICATION OF ELIGIBILITYGCR CANDIDATE CHECKLISTGCR AUTHORIZATION FOR RELEASE OF INFORMATIONGCR DECLARATION OF CANDIDACYASSISTANT CHIEF FILING FORMS
AC VERIFICATION OF ELIGIBILITYAC CANDIDATE CHECKLISTAC AUTHORIZATION FOR RELEASE OF INFORMATIONAC DECLARATION OF CANDIDACYCHIEF FILING FORMS
C VERIFICATION OF ELIGIBILITY
C CANDIDATE CHECKLIST
C AUTHORIZATION FOR RELEASE OF INFORMATION
C DECLARATION OF CANDIDACY
VOTER FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
CAN I VOTE?
- You can vote if you are a member of Seminole Nation and are 18 years of age at the time of the election.
DO I NEED AN ID TO VOTE?
- Yes, you will need to have a picture government ID. Examples of IDs accepted include: State Driver's License, Tribal Picture ID, Picture Passport, or Military Pictured ID.
DO I NEED TO UPDATE MY ADDRESS/LAST NAME AT THE ENROLLMENT OFFICE?
- Yes, if you will be voting absentee. (The ballot will be mailed to the address on file at the membership office.)
- No, if you will be voting in person. (However, we strongly encourage you to verify/update your information. See Update Information on the Tribal Enrollment Page for document.)
WILL I BE ABLE TO VOTE BY ABSENTEE BALLOT?
- Yes, requests for absentee ballots must be made in writing, must be signed and must be received by the Election Board Office by the close of business June 10th, 2021. Request for Absentee Ballots forms will be available in the Election Board Office or by the link above.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO REQUEST AN ABSENTEE BALLOT?
- Requests for absentee ballots are posted above. Print and fill out the form. You will receive your ballot in the mail. Return your completed ballot in the self-addressed return envelope.
WILL THE POLLING LOCATIONS UPHOLD SOCIAL DISTANCING PROTOCOLS?
WHERE ARE THE POLLING LOCATIONS?
- Mekusukey Mission, Sasakwa, Strother, Shawnee & Oklahoma City. The actual address within these locations are yet to be determined but will be posted soon.
WHEN WILL WE KNOW WHO IS RUNNING FOR OFFICE?
- The filing period is April 19-23rd of 2021. Afterwards, the Election Board will release the names of candidates that filed and that have met the requirements.
HOW DO I REACH THE ELECTION BOARD?
- You can email email@example.com or call 405.652.0195.