Click Here to fill out our official online application.
POSITION: CEMETERY SEXTON
DEPARTMENT: Veterans Tribal Services
REPORTS TO: Tribal Veteran’s Services Representative
JOB PURPOSE: Under limited supervision, oversees and participates in the general upkeep and maintenance of the Seminole Nation cemeteries, provides consolation and consultation services to the bereaved.
Responsible for supervising the opening and closing of graves.
Responsible for placement of grave foundation.
Leveling and seeding of all graves.
Completes the location, opening and closing of gravesites and construction of marker foundations.
Maintains the Cemetery grounds by cutting the grass/vegetation and trimming around stones and markers.
Operates and directs operation of a full range of vehicles, equipment and tools used in cemetery maintenance and grave openings and closings.
Performs basic preventive maintenance and repairs on a variety of equipment and tools including cleaning, greasing and oiling.
Inspects cemetery grounds and facilities to determine maintenance needs and assure compliance with standards.
Assists the public in locating gravesites, purchasing lots, and coordinating process with funeral directors and monument companies.
Maintains burial permits and other cemetery records and assists the public with research requests. Responds to complaints or inquiries from the public.
Lays out burial plots according to maps.
Attends Committees meetings as necessary or directed.
Performs related duties as assigned.
High School Diploma/GED preferred;
One to three years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug test and criminal background check.
Must be able to maintain a valid driver’s license and be insurable by the Seminole Nation vehicle insurance.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
• Knowledge of supervisory methods and techniques.
• Thorough knowledge of the methods, tools, materials and equipment used in cemetery grounds and facilities maintenance.
• Must be able to work varied hours and on weekends.
• Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
• Must have the ability to reasonably respond to instructions furnished in written, verbal, or diagram form.
• Knowledge of administrative procedures, principles and practices.
• Must have the ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
• Skill in utilizing public relations techniques in responding to inquiries and complaints.
• Skill in communicating effectively, verbally and in writing.
• Skill in following safety practices and recognizing hazards.
• Skills in operating backhoe and bobcat for opening and closing graves.
• Skill in the operation of assigned vehicles, equipment and power tools
• Skill in performing basic maintenance tasks on assigned equipment, buildings and facilities.
• Ability to critically assess situations and solve problems, and to work effectively under stress, within deadlines and changes in work priorities.
• Ability to work in all kinds of weather.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to perform heavy manual labor and is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear; and view work objects. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, or sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move objects of very heavy weight.
Position requires frequent lifting of up to 25 lbs. or more.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions, including extreme heat or cold and wet and/or humid conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts; confined spaces. The employee may be occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment can range from moderate to extremely loud.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to work on weekends as needed for burials.
Work is performed in a typical outdoor environment in extreme or inclement weather.
Noise level is usually loud to extremely loud.